Thursday, July 30, 2009

1 Yr. later........................Continued..............



One year ago today I was holding my little boy as he recovered from brain surgery. He would not sleep or even sit in his crib and he HATED anyone in a white coat. There were so many tubes hooked on him it was almost impossible to switch positions. Matter of fact we had to have to nurses help me switch arms with him. There were so many beeps. Every time a drug finished or a new one needed to start they beeped. Every time his heart rate changed or oxygen rate changed it beeped. It was very stressful but very reassuring because I knew they were watching him so closely. He was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit or PICU so there was no where for me to sleep nor could I have left him. I sat in the wooden rocking chair (it did have a cushion though not very comfy) all night long. Holding him and watching him take every breath. Wondering what the future would hold or what the final pathology would look like.



As I sat and watched him all night he started to do weird things with his face. He would open his mouth funny and his tongue would stick out and he would gag. I remember at one point in my exhaustion at like 3 am after seeing him do this over and over I started to panic. I think in the heat of the moment and with me being so exhausted both physically and emotionally I just started yelling for help. The nurse was by our side in no time and doctors were paged. What we thought were seizures turned out to be nothing but maybe a sore throat from having a breathing tube....Pheewwww



I called David hysterically telling him that they thought he was having seizures and that I wanted him to come back to the hospital ASAP. He had left a few hours before to be with Brielle. By the time he arrived everything was okay but I needed him for my comfort.



My butt became molded to that rocking chair. That is where I spent the next 7 days. I was so sore that at one point I was sitting on a boppy pillow :) Of course, it was a small price to pay compared to what my son was going through.



Now Miracle Dawson is changing everyday. He loves to play like a big boy and loves, loves, loves to be included in everything. It has been a roller coaster year but we are so grateful!!!!!!! He has blown away all his doctors, therapists and even his parents. He continues to grow and thrive and we just cannot believe this is the same boy.



One year ago post..................

Again by David:

Well the removal of the tumor was successful and he is acting normal. The doctors best guess is that it was a slow growing benign growth and the fluid build up was spinal fluid. We will have final lab results Friday. Now its just time to heal!



AMAZING HOW MUCH HE COULD CHANGE IN A YEAR.......LOVE HIM...............

6 comments:

Katie Johnson said...

I love this boy soooo much and already miss him a ton! I dont get to see him often but everytime i spend time with him we're instant buddies, even though sometimes he's meeting "T" all over again. hopefully from now on he'll remember me, since he's such a big boy :)

Andrea said...

I LOVE these pictures of Dawson. He is such a big, handsome, happy boy. I can't believe it has been an entire year since we visited you guys that day at Primary Children's with gifts from the neighborhood. The entire room was full of the Milius and Stefan family there to support you. Even though it was an intense time the room exploded with life and love from your family and friends. You truly are a loved family.

Ali Biggs said...

Hi Kristin! It's so great to see that Dawson is doing so well! He's looking more and more like David each time I see his pics! I'm so glad that I got to see you guys last October, and I hope that another reunion isn't too far away.

Love, Ali

The McKinnons said...

You really have been through so much in the last year, but reading your story just exudes so much knowledge, faith, love, and courage. You and your family have grown so much and are such great examples to us all of how to become better people through the trials that are thrown at us. Thank you for sharing and reminding us how precious life really is.

Anonymous said...

That's my love..
This picture makes me sad
I love him so much.

Love, mimi

Anonymous said...

That's my love..
This picture makes me sad
I love him so much.

Love, mimi